The first Advanced Communication Manuals we will be looking at in more detail is called ‘The entertaining speaker’. At first touch, Toastmasters seems to be the place where you learn how to do public speeches for thousands of people! You obviously tell yourself: ‘this is not a need-to-know for me because in the company I work I never have to give presentations nor attend any meetings open to the public’. Then there is this energetic Toastmaster that will tell you:
‘Have you ever been to a wedding? Have you ever had to do thank you speech for something? Have you ever had to say a joke to save a very difficult situation when dealing with a client?’
At this moment everyone should realize that life is a long journey of public speeches. It can start with saying few words in front of your colleagues and teachers when graduating university, saying few words at the wedding of your best friend that will make everyone cry, thanking your grandmother for her long-life care for the entire family during a family reunion or simply being the one that knows how to entertain a group of friends with the right stories at the right moment. And the list is never-ending for your whole life!
This is what The Entertaining Speaker manual is about: an entertaining speech where you tell a story, a story to make the audience laugh, a dramatic talk that would keep everyone engaged or an after-dinner talk on a specific theme.
Let’s have a look at the actual projects of this manual and their objectives:
Project 1: The Entertaining Speech
- Entertain the audience by relating a personal experience
- Organize an entertaining speech for maximum impact
Project 2: Resources for Entertainment
- Draw entertaining material from sources other than your own personal experience
- Adapt your material to suit your topic, your own personality and the audience
Project 3: Make Them Laugh
- Prepare a humorous speech drawn from your own experience
- Strengthen the speech by adopting and personalizing humorous material from outside sources
- Deliver the speech in a way that makes the humor effective
Project 4: A Dramatic Talk
- Develop an entertaining dramatic talk about an experience or incident
- Include vivid imagery, characters, and dialog
- Deliver the talk in an entertaining manner
Project 5: Speaking After Dinner
- Prepare an entertaining after-dinner talk on a specific theme
- Deliver the talk using the skills developed in the preceding projects
A very interesting manual isn’t it? Definitely worth considering it for your Advanced Communicator challenge!
Ioana Florentina Pop, VP PR